Dates: Feb: 17-28*
*Mondays are off.
It is not necessary to come to every single day, but the more you come the more you'll learn!
Location: SBCAST, 513 Garden Street, Santa Barbara
Time: 4:30 - 9:30 PM on each program day with a grub break. Times may change slightly based on the availability of the group.
The group will be building one to several large-scale puppets to perform in Puppetpalooza March 1- 4 and for other local festivals and events.
In a 2-week giant puppet workshop, puppet maker and performer Thingumajig Theatre directors Andrew and Kathy Kim will lead a group of local artists through all the stages of making giant street puppets: from concept to design.
The class will focus on the following learning outcomes:
- The advantages and disadvantages of certain material choices.
- How to scale drawings, research images, colors and designs.
- Sculpture techniques and what details makes an effective puppet
- Use bamboo, aluminum, nylon tubing and foam for puppet design elements
- How to sculpt with foam for hands, horns or other appendages.
- How to rig puppets so they have effective and ergonomic movement.
- How to make costumes and show how we make choices which are effective but also practical for a puppet which can last for years.
- Painting techniques which help to bring the puppet to life.
- Instructors will work with the participants to teach giant puppet movement techniques to animate all type of puppets and masks
Registration Policy: No refunds will be made for participants who can not attend, though registration is transferable.
About the Workshop Instructors: Thingumajig Theatre (Kathy and Andrew Kim) make and perform giant puppets for plays, street theatre and parades. They have a wide range of puppets from a mechanical hippopotamus, a giant chicken and birds with 5 metre wing span. While based a small town in the north of England, their puppets have performed in throughout the UK, Ireland, Denmark, Italy, France, Luxembourg, Germany, Hungary, USA, Korea, China and United Arab Emirates. thingumajig.info/
About Giant Puppets: Giant puppets take the captivating magic of puppets and expand them to work outside, on the streets and into fields. They create a focal point and spectacle for a parade and theatrical events and beyond. Giant Puppets are amplified masks and costumes and when created and performed with care, they can create the awe and openness necessary for an event or performance to transport the audience to another world!